Thursday, February 25, 2010

Vancouver 2010 - The Medals.

Maybe I am the only one but up until today 
I thought the Vancouver 2010 Olympic medals were kinda goofy looking... 
I remember sitting on the couch when The Husband & I first saw them & we both said out-loud,
"Whoa! Those are interesting!"
As The Games progressed we heard that they were created to resemble the "rolling hills of Vancouver".
Ok fair enough- but still a bit weird to me.
I honestly thought- "wow they look like someone ran them over with a mac truck!"
But then I heard two-time gold medalist Shaun White say-
 "the medals actually when put together form one big piece of art."
 What?!  Now that is more my speed! I had to find out more... 
(thank you google)

If you have a few minutes you MUST watch this video.
It is the artists Corrine Hunt Omer Arbel 
talking about the story behind the medals & how they created them.
Trust me, it will give you a whole new perspective on the medals & The Games themselves.
Not only did they create medals for the The Vancouver 2010 Olympic games
 but they also created the medals for the Paralympic games as well!
& as I found out from Shaun White, the medals are in-fact based on a larger master artworks...

contemporary aboriginal artwork reflecting
 an Orca Whale for the Olympic medals...

& a contemporary aboriginal artwork reflecting
 a Raven for the Paralympic medals...

Each medal has a unique, hand-cropped section of the artwork, making it a one-of-a-kind treasure.
Plus a silk scarf printed with the master artwork is also presented to each medalist
 which then enables them to see how their medal connects 
with those awarded to other athletes to make the design whole!

How awesome is that?!
I'm definitely taking back everything I said that was even remotely negative about the medals. 
The story behind them is great & the artists definitely put a lot of hard work 
& thought into having them reflect the true spirit of The Games..
With Glowing Hearts"

 (PS- now I want one... or at least a silk scarf.)

xoxo

3 comments:

Arielle said...

Alright the medals just became really awesome!

Unknown said...

I shared this bit of information with my husband last night as we were watching the Olympics... He was really impressed that I knew such information!

Ha!

Thanks for the tidbits!

You Are My Fave said...

Yeah, I thought they were a little goofy looking too. They kind of remind me of melted chocolate coins.

Related Posts with Thumbnails